Subject: Re: [boost] [predef] FYI..
From: Niall Douglas (ndouglas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-29 13:13:17

> I'm not in favor of it either :-) But after I tried a few other
alternatives this was
> the only that worked without a bunch more work on my part (either up front
or
> continuously). But if anyone has alternatives I'm happy to try them.
Here's what
> I tried.. Manually copying over changes from git to svn (lots of labor all
the time
> and prone to errors); Writing a script to copy/merge/delete changes (hard
to get
> working reliably); Getting git to mirror the modular structure in a
non-modular
> git equivalent inside a Boost svn checkout (couldn't find a way to
actually get
> this to work and seemed dangerous to intermix the two); Using links on my
local
> checkout to mostly automatically reflect my local git to my local svn
(because
> there are links to directories and hence symbolic svn can't deal with them
> accomplish the effect).

I've had good success with subgit in getting git and svn repos to always
stay two way mirrors of one another. See
https://github.com/ned14/boost-trunk for an example, though I've disabled
the git to svn mirror there as all commits to github would appear under
ned14 in svn because I never bothered with configuring the two way map.

Note that subgit needs about 250Mb of RAM, sustained. It also introduces a
certain amount of lag to both git and svn commits in order to duplicate the
commit.

As a temporary measure until we can drop svn forever, it's doable. Note that
subgit can be configured to handle a modularized, decentralized git or svn
structure, but that is probably significant work as you won't be able to
reuse much of the existing scripts.

Niall

---
Opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of
BlackBerry Inc.