Subject: Re: [boost] Removing old config macro and increasing compiler requirements.
From: Jonathan Wakely (jwakely.boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-31 09:45:51

On 31 July 2013 14:32, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

> Can we produce a "skull-and-bones" compile-time message on the lines of "This is the last time that
> this will work!"?
>
> To catch people's attention, using an soon-to-be obsolete compiler or feature would have to produce
> an compile-fail error at first, but one that could be countermanded by users then making some macro
> definition meaning "I have read and understood the previous warning" so that it would compile.
>
> This would loudly warn that this is the last version of Boost that will work, so they can either
> stick to that version, or upgrade compiler etc.

Although I think that's better than nothing, it doesn't help people
who upgrade from, for example, 1.54 to 1.56 and skip the 1.55 version
with the warning. In my experience many users only upgrade Boost
occasionally, rather than at every release.

To help those people later versions could replace the "This is the
last time that this will work!" message that can be disabled via a
macro with a message that can't be disabled saying "Boost 1.xx is the
last version that supports your compiler"