Subject: Re: [boost] [git] eol issues and fetchRecurseSubmodules = on-demand
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-03 11:49:50

on Fri Aug 02 2013, Ahmed Charles <acharles-AT-outlook.com> wrote:

> Two things:
>
> 1. tools\build\v2\engine\build.bat has LF instead of CRLF for line
> endings, which causes bootstrap.bat (which has the right endings) to
> not work properly. It seems like the top level .gitattributes doesn't
> apply to submodules.

No it doesn't, but the .gitattributes file is also written into all the
submodules.

> 2. After cloning and fetching modular boost each day for a while, I
> finally figured that waiting an hour or so to sync could probably be
> improved. So I read the docs and tested adding fetchRecurseSubmodules
> = on-demand for each submodule in .gitsubmodules

I've never heard of .gitsubmodules. I know .gitmodules, but as far as I
know that file format doesn't accept syntax like the one you're
describing.

> and it seems to work much faster with the same result. (It would
> result in differences once the submodules can change without the
> super-project changing, but currently, I don't think that is the
> case.)

Yes, that's right. The super-project gets a commit every time a
submodule changes.

> Perhaps it's with considering?

How or where would I change it?

--