Subject: Re: [boost] How do folks test serialization code?
From: Bjorn Reese (breese_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-05 04:40:45

On 08/05/2013 09:56 AM, John Maddock wrote:

> But since I know the internals of the classes are platform specific,
> I've had to come up with a serialization format (for cpp_int for
> example) which is platform independent. Or at least I think it is. I

I am interested in learning more about how this format for cpp_int is.
I maintain an encoding format [1], which I would like to extend with
variable-length integers.

> tend to assume that anything not tested doesn't work. Maybe I'll just
> create some sample archives on 32 and 64 bit platforms and try reading
> them.

In my archives I do not use round tripping, but rather explicitly check
the binary output of the oarchive, and likewise feed a binary input to
the iarchive (see [2])

[1] http://transenc.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://sourceforge.net/p/protoc/code/ci/master/tree/test/transenc/