Subject: Re: [boost] Removing old config macro and increasing compiler requirements.
From: Stephen Kelly (steveire_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-05 11:00:33

On 08/05/2013 04:32 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> on Sun Aug 04 2013, Stephen Kelly <steveire-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't think it matters. static_assert is a tiny dependency.
>> You miss the point entirely, repeatedly and insistently :).
> Stephen, I don't think you're being quite fair here. I am trying hard
> to see your point, and if there's something Daniel has missed, well, I
> guess I am probably missing it too. Could you patiently try again to
> spell out your point in the simplest and clearest terms possible?

Roughly backwards through what I've quoted above:

Forget that static_assert is a small dependency.

My point was that increasing the compiler requirement makes one library
not depend on the other in at least two cases (config->core and
any->static_assert, and to some extent, but not a full extent,
any->type_traits).

The core->config issue is not a special case, because the exact same
case exists for any->static_assert.

To be clear, the 'case' is that 'when we bump compiler requirements, we
can remove library dependencies'.

The compiler requirement bump I posted patches for has benefits and very
small impact, so should be a no-brainer and independently justifiable.

I haven't investigated other benefits of doing the bump, but just
running 'git grep -w 1300' in boost-trunk shows me that there will be
more code and workarounds to remove. How that can possibly be a can of
worms I still don't know...

I can just wait and see if someone commits my patches after whatever
process or user surveys you want to do, then I can investigate more.

Thanks,

Steve.