Subject: Re: [boost] Removing old config macro and increasingcompilerrequirements.
From: Stephen Kelly (steveire_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-05 11:09:10

On 08/05/2013 04:45 PM, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> on Mon Aug 05 2013, Stephen Kelly <steveire-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> No, it can't be a can of worms at all.
>>
>> It's simply a benefit/effect/consequence of bumping the compiler
>> requirement.
> I think *maybe* John is worried about potential downstream code breakage
> from removing config macros.

Is it not obvious that obsolete macros can be kept and defined to nothing?

Is it not obvious that obsolescence warnings or errors for obsolete
macros can be added?

#if defined(BOOST_STRICT_CONFIG)
// BOOST_NO_EXPLICIT_FUNCTION_TEMPLATE_ARGUMENT is never defined.
#else
// Obsolete. Defined to nothing
# define BOOST_NO_EXPLICIT_FUNCTION_TEMPLATE_ARGUMENT
#endif

Even the patches that I posted contain things like

 +// This macro is obsolete. Port away and remove.
 +# define BOOST_PYTHON_EXPLICIT_TT_DEF(T)

If you are correct about the true concern, it would be nice to know so
that it can be addressed and explained if it needs to be explained
instead of guessed at.

Thanks,

Steve.