Subject: Re: [boost] [serialization] How are floating point values handled?
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-08 12:16:55

Paul A. Bristow wrote:
> [...]

Here is what I would like to see happen

a) Johan Rade's facets for Facets for Floating-Point Infinities and NaNs
should get incorporated into boost as a separate library.
b) text serialization would incorporate that library. Usage of
this facility would be conditioned on an archive attribute flag
assigned when the archive is created. This would leave the current
behaviour and provide the NaN friendly behavior as an option.
c) boost floating point support should be created which
handles in a uniform manner floats 8,16, 24, 32, 64, 128 bits long.
This should be handled by i/o streams. To make this job
easier - only ieee754 format would be supported
(of course both endians would be supported).
d) floating point support should be added to portable binary
archive
e) and portable binary archive should become an official
part of the boost serialization libary.

All the "bits" are "floating" around, never the less putting
all this together is a huge project - probably too big even for
a master's thesis. But to me it would close a bunch of holes
in C++ handling of floating point numbers.

Robert Ramey