Subject: Re: [boost] Line endings fixes
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-08 13:55:34

On Thursday, August 8, 2013 7:58:47 AM UTC-7, Niall Douglas wrote:

> > >Well, then why have they mixed eols? Can the script be fixed? And I
> > >guess I can edited them using inkscape ;-)
> >
> > You could edit then in Inkscape, and I'm sure that would work just fine
> > regardless of the line-endings they use.
> >
> > The question is what should the script be fixed to? I guess all \n's
> and
> no \r's is
> > safest?
>
> There is something real weird going on, as supposedly git should
> rationalize
> mismatched EOLs during a svn commit replay irrespective of mismatch in the
> svn content.

If by “svn commit replay” you mean what Boost2Git is doing, then no,
there’s no reason to think that should happen. We’re using
git-fast-import, which just eats the raw bytes you send it and doesn’t have
an opinion about whether they’re text or not.

Also, let me be very clear, just in case there’s some misunderstanding
about this: it is not Boost2Git’s job to fix bad SVN commits in the past.
 If something like that needs to be fixed before the transition, it should
be fixed by making new commits to SVN, which means existing history stays
as it is. Another option is to make fixes in Git immediately after the
transition (which again, doesn’t change history). That means the only
things we can alter that change the way history appears in Git are
.gitattributes, repositories.txt, etc., and non-Boost-specific logic in the
Boost2Git source code—at least, not without very extensive justification.