Subject: Re: [boost] Line endings fixes
From: Jürgen Hunold (jhunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-13 09:04:49

Hi,

On Tuesday, 13. August 2013 22:26:30 Vitaly Budovski wrote:
> On 13 August 2013 21:42, John Maddock <john_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > I just tried to do this and SVN wouldn't let me - the combination listed
> > on
> > that webpage for SVG files svn:eol-style=native;
> > svn:mime-type=image/svg+xml isn't valid and SVN won't allow you to apply
> > it to a file. So you can either have the correct mime-type, or the
> > correct eol-style, but not both.
> >
> > John.
>
> eol-style can only be applied to text mime-type files. image/svg+xml
> is binary. You need to change the mime-type also.

This one of the cases where svn:mime-type breaks horrible. You need
"image/svg+xml" for Browser visualisation and "text/x-xml" (any "text/*") for
correct storage of the text based data. I was never happy with those mime-
types anyway, but they were/are needed when doing cross-platform development.
Some even might say that subversion was overdesigned.
Well, git has some other eol-magic, lets see if it handles things better.

Bottom line: get the webserver to deliver the mime type depending on the file
extension and change the repository mime-type to "text/x-xml".

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold  !
* voice: ++49 4257 300       ! Fährstraße 1