Subject: Re: [boost] [block_ptr] & Java
From: Phil Bouchard (philippe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-08-30 18:29:19

On 8/30/2013 4:43 PM, Jens Weller wrote:

> I'll just ask about the elephant in the room:
> What does your block_ptr do differently then the for years known smartpointer implementation in boost?
> Why is there a need for reinventing the wheel?

Because cyclic pointers need to be handled explicitly with smart
pointers whereas with mine it's done implicitly. That's why it can be
ported to Java so easily.

I have my take on smart pointers because I am working on Webkit which
uses its own similar smart pointers to Boost's.

I haven't been promoting block_ptr much in the last 2 years simply
because I was working on my astrophysics project.

-Phil