Subject: Re: [boost] NuGet packages for boost
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-09-17 11:45:21

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 11:59 AM, Ben Craig <ben.craig_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> NuGet is a package manager that has traditionally been focused on .NET,
> but it has recently added support for C++ libraries. Here is a
> presentation by the lead developer adding C++ support to NuGet:
>
> http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/GoingNative/2013/Find-Build-Share-Use-Using-NuGet-for-C-and-Cpp-Libraries

Interesting. It looks like NuGet is Microsoft's attempt at providing the
Debian "apt-get" Advance Packaging Tool for Windows.

If NuGet comes even close the usefulness of apt-get, it will be a big step
forward for Windows developers who want to use open source software, IMO.

> I would like to see boost packages added to NuGet, and to have these
> packages be "official" packages. I am a contributor on another project
> (Thrift) and I would like to be able to produce NuGet packages for Thrift,
> and I would like that package to have a "magically" working Boost
> dependency.
>

> Sergey Shandar has made some unofficial packages.
> Blog describing his effort:
> http://sergey-shandar.blogspot.com/2013/08/boost-on-nugetorg.html
> Nuget packages he has submitted:
> https://www.nuget.org/profiles/sergey.shandar/
>
> If someone (perhaps me) authored the boost NuGet package build process,
> would the person in charge of releasing Boost be willing to publish the
> NuGet packages that get created?
>
> There are going to be plenty of follow up questions if Boost releases are
> willing to publish NuGet packages, but I figured I would get the big
> question out of the way first.

I'm very interested.

--Beman