Subject: Re: [boost] How to center an element in Boost QuickBook?
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-08 06:21:14

On 8 October 2013 09:00, Paul A. Bristow <pbristow_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I've finally got round to trying this with Quickbook 1.7 and I find it very neat to be able to
> control the alignment, both in text, and most usefully, in tables, so that the heading and/or body
> text can be centered or even right aligned. (justify seems less useful).
>
> /* alignment and coloring use role feature, available from Quickbook 1.7 up. */

It's a 1.6 feature. There are still changes to be made in 1.7, so it's
best to stick with 1.6 for now. I've got a lot of changes that haven't
been made to trunk yet.

> I'd like to add a few to the boostbook.css
>
> /* Text colors (names at http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css_colornames.asp) */
> span.red { color: red; }
> span.green { color: green; }
> span.lime { color: #00FF00; }
> span.blue { color: blue; }
> span.navy { color: navy; }
> span.yellow { color: yellow; }
> span.magenta { color: magenta; }
> span.indigo { color: #4B0082; }
> span.cyan { color: cyan; }
> span.purple { color: purple; }
> span.gold { color: gold; }
> span.silver { color: silver; }
> span.grey { color: grey; }

Go for it.

> It will also be useful to have a few defs in your Quickbook file.
>
> [/ ticks and crosses from dingbats http://www.unicodemap.org/range/56/Dingbats/ eg
> http://www.unicodemap.org/details/0x2714/]
>
> [def __tick [role aligncenter [role green \u2714]]] [/ u2714 is a HEAVY CHECK MARK tick (2713 check
> mark)]
> [def __cross [role aligncenter [role red \u2718]]] [/ u2718 is a heavy cross]
> [def __star [role aligncenter [role red \u2736]]] [/ 6-point star]

Personally, I'd use templates, but it's your choice.

>> Will this also produce a pdf version as with other Quickbook docs?
>
> So far, the answer to my other question is not yet.
>
> My jamfile contains this pointer to my special css with the above added items (and works for html)
>
> <xsl:param>html.stylesheet=myboostbook.css
>
> and I presume this applies to for both html and pdf ?

No, css is only for html. I'm sure it's possible to do at least
coloured text in pdfs, a quick search suggests:

https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/docbook-apps/201202/msg00106.html

I guess we need to add something similar to the boostbook xsl.