Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [conversion] Schedule and remaining showstoppers?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-16 12:03:34

On 16 Oct 2013 at 8:51, Beman Dawes wrote:

> My take on "how quickly can we get out?":
>
> * Declare the conversion software done. Dave and Daniel are off the hook,
> although we will need their help if the conversion process stops running
> before the cutover.
>
> * The moment 1.55 ships, we make the SVN repo read only. As soon as the
> next conversion run finishes, we turn off the conversion process.
>
> * We run a process that checks out all the Boost2Git repos, does the
> gitflow branch renaming, and pushes those changes up to the Boost2Git repos.
>
> * At that point the bulk conversion is done. Library maintainers can start
> work on their individual libraries. If a problem is discovered in an
> individual library's repo, we help that library maintainer resolve the
> problem for that library rather than rerunning the entire conversion for
> all libraries.
>
> To be able to pull that off, a lot of preparation not involving the
> Boost2Git conversion process remains to be done. But we need to be clear
> about where we are going before worrying about exactly how we are going to
> get there.

Before any of this, in my opinion we need to find out with real
empirical evidence how good the quality of the git conversion is.
That, in my opinion, requires a full build and automated test run for
every matching git commit and svn commit going back through history
to determine their level of equivalence, and at what point in history
equivalence breaks down.

Without hard data on the git conversion quality, we cannot hope to
make informed decisions.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/