Subject: Re: [boost] VC2013 1.55 beta failures
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-17 15:37:29

On 17 Oct 2013 at 18:25, Stephan T. Lavavej wrote:

> [Niall Douglas]
> > apart from Boost.Config having to turn off variadic templates
> > on VS2013 due to breakage in Boost.Signals2 and a few other
> > minor places, it was all looking very good indeed in the RC.
>
> Argh. Have any MS Connect bugs been filed to track those variadic
> template problems? I wasn't aware that Boost had to turn them off -
> that's a big deal.

No one has had the time yet to look into whether it's VS2013 or
undefined behaviour assumptions by those bits of Boost which break.
It could be either, or both. It could even be as simple as telling
those bits of code to stop using the special "I am using MSVC" code
path i.e. a simple #if fix. I think the lack of attention here is
mainly unfortunate timing: Boost v1.55 was locked down for release
some time ago, and VS2013 was being released in parallel.

As an aside, I am very surprised that porting Boost to VS2013 with
all VS2013's features turned on wasn't part and parcel of VS2013
release testing. Boost is surely an excellent way of testing new
C++11 feature implementations. FYI, binaries produced by VS2013 with
variadic templates on are about 10% faster than with VS2012, I assume
due to more compact output. It's a huge win for debugging sanity too.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/