Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Modularizing Boost (modularization)
From: Stephen Kelly (steveire_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-19 02:54:29

On 10/18/2013 07:25 PM, Beman Dawes wrote:
> Have you looked at
> https://github.com/ryppl/Boost2Git/blob/master/repositories.txt for example?

Yes. I even linked to a mail from Dave which explains it:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/245078/focus=245098

> The impression I have is that every change, even fairly minor stuff, breaks
> something else.

The impression I have is that it is deterministic. If we change that
file and we get it wrong, we deterministically know about it within a
few hours.

That is a tiny cost for the benefit of having acyclically-modularized
git repos without re-writing the history a few times after launching
them. The git repos will last years or decades, not hours.

This scm transition has taken years so far, and because it's being
approached 'big bang' style instead of incrementally, few actual changes
have actually landed in all the years.

Doing things incrementally results in getting things done better,
affecting fewer people at a time, and with more verification points.

Thanks,

Steve.