Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [conversion] Schedule and remaining showstoppers?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-21 19:05:26

On 20 Oct 2013 at 20:43, Dave Abrahams wrote:

> > Before any of this, in my opinion we need to find out with real
> > empirical evidence how good the quality of the git conversion is.
> > That, in my opinion, requires a full build and automated test run for
> > every matching git commit and svn commit going back through history
> > to determine their level of equivalence, and at what point in history
> > equivalence breaks down.
>
> Never gonna happen. The filesystem structure is changed, and there's no
> reason to expect commits in ancient history to build.

I didn't know that was now the case. For reference, I absolutely
agree with this decision, but may I ask a stupid question: why now
bother converting any history at all if historical checkouts are no
longer viable?

i.e. why not flatten file history completely, and therefore make
clones so very much quicker? Right now my subgit conversion of Boost
consumes about 800Mb. Eliminating most of that download would be
useful. If people want to see and/or use history from pre-conversion,
they can use the SVN repo.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/