Subject: Re: [boost] [git help] Documenting common modular boost workflows
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-22 08:07:34

On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:55 PM, Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> On 21 Oct 2013 at 21:18, Beman Dawes wrote:
>
> > Some developers will prefer GitFlow. Others will use the command line.
> And
> > still others with use other tools. We have to support all of them with at
> > least minimal documentation.
>
> I assume you mean the tools rather than the processes here. In which
> case fine, let each library maintainer do as they wish.

Of course. But we need to provide documentation for developers who have no
git or gitflow experience. Since command line git and TortoiseGit are
likely to be the most common tools, that's were the documentation effort is
being concentrated.

<snip>Discussion of dependency design.</snip>

This isn't the right thread to discuss design; it is about documentation.
It might not even be the right mailing list. Why don't you go on over to
the ryppl list to see if you can interested anyone there in a design review?

<snip>General discussion of workflow.</snip>

The target audience for the documentation isn't folks interested in
generalities; but rather folks who just want to know what git (or
TortoiseGit) commands to give to do simple things.

Asking for help clearly isn't working. I'll just test and write-up set of
git commands and TortoiseGit commands that work, and then correct them as
expert git users point out better ways to accomplish.

--Beman