Subject: Re: [boost] [git] [conversion] Schedule and remaining showstoppers?
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-10-24 05:09:26

And there are lots more tickets that *should* also be recorded in their individual docs.

Boost.Math is trying to set a good example :-)

In Quickbook, the Trac item is linked thus, for example:

* Fixed PGI compilation issue [@https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/8333 #8333].

And users can quickly see what is work-in-progress thus:

Currently open bug reports can be viewed
[@https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=math&c
ol=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority here].

> They will work fine as long as we keep trac running. AFAIK there are no plans to turn it off (but
maybe
> should prevent the creation of new tickets?).

So what would replace this very valuable function?

> But if we ever turn it off, I'm sure we'll set something up to maintain the links.
>
> The implicit links in commit logs won't work on github (e.g. trac converts #6999 to a ticket link,

So these Trac #1234 links will still work as before?

> r83728 to a link to a changeset, I don't think github offers a way to do that), but since every
revision should include
> a subversion commit number it will be pretty easy to find the changeset on trac where everything
will be
> linked. We could possibly set up our own git viewer to manage that.

I'm reassured by this, but feel that some Trac-like system is very valuable, both for users and
developers, so it remains a long-term must-have.

Bugs and enhancements are the *first* things that people will be tackling after conversion to GIT
(not new libraries at first), so it would be really good if we still had a way of handling the
recording of info about the work on them.

So (to start with) do we just carry on using Trac as before?

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK