Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] Dependency to Boost.Exception unavoidable?
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-01 12:02:20

Daniel Pfeifer wrote:
> 2013/11/1 Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]>:
> >
> > ->exception is unavoidable because of throw_exception.
>
> I think `throw_exception.hpp` belongs to Boost.Utility for two reasons:

That'd be useless, even assuming a hypothetical Utility that doesn't depend
on the world as it does now. It would make Utility depend on Exception
(because throw_exception.hpp does depend on Exception), thereby not saving a
dependency, but introducing one extra.

> When I provide an implementation for `throw_exception` and/or define
> BOOST_NO_EXCEPTIONS/BOOST_EXCEPTION_DISABLE accordingly, I would expect
> *not* having a dependency to Boost.Exception.

This kind of reaction is understandable but misguided. Exception's author
(Emil Dotchevski) likes dependencies much less than most people and the
library is relatively self-contained (and I would expect it to become more
so as we transition to the new structure). It's other modules you should be
afraid of, not Exception.