Subject: Re: [boost] [build] Default compiler options for a toolset
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-22 01:05:37

On Thu, Nov 21, 2013 at 08:40:08PM -0500, Edward Diener wrote:
> Please go to the e-mail called "Clang windows toolset" on the Boost Build
> mailing list and download the attached files there by 'tr1gun' and do
> whatever you wish with them. I am just using those jam files locally in
> order to test clang-cl on Windows using Boost Build for myself. You can do
> the same also if you desire.

I was of the impression that this was something you put some effort into
to try to get into Boost proper. If it's just your idle musings about
something that no-one will touch and you have to follow a ton of posts
and patch chains for, do whatever you want.

> Given that the Boost Build mavens had no interest, and may still have no
> interest, in a toolset for clang-cl, I am just thankful to be using the
> product of another person's efforts to achieve my goal of testing clang-cl
> with Boost and fixing problems in Boost that will make it easier for Boost
> end-users to use clang-cl if Boost Build ever officially supports it. I do
> not know who 'tr1gun' is but am thankful for his efforts. What I do locally
> in order to correctly test clang-cl with Boost Build is my own business,
> while whatever fixes I make to Boost for clang-cl in various Boost libraries
> is Boost's business. But I have made no effort to promote the jam files
> created by 'trgun' in any official way as a part of Boost or Boost Build.

The way you put it forth made it sound very much like an rather official
and serious effort to formalize something due for inclusion soon, if not
already in trunk. I'm sorry for misinterpreting this, but I still
believe my opinion holds for any future inclusion of such functionality
in Boost, no matter what compiler and feature it happens to be about.

Let's not forget, not everyone reads everything on the list,
mark-thread-as-read is my coping mechanism for high-volume lists like
this and cfe-dev_at_.

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]