Subject: Re: [boost] Post-git forking process
From: Klaim - Joël Lamotte (mjklaim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-22 17:19:21

On Fri, Nov 22, 2013 at 10:20 PM, Sohail Somani <sohail_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Good question. The first thing I noticed was EOL-related issues which
> prevented me from (I think) checking out different branches. For example,
> bootstrap.bat was "modified" even though I had never touched it after a
> clone. Eventually, I got past this somehow but I can't remember how. I was
> checking out on a Mac.

I can't help with this specific problem but you should probably investigate
git configuration files (locally) and check if your git version is
appropriate.

> In terms of how I failed, it was more along the lines of not understanding
> Git submodules properly. Although I'm going off memory, I believe the
> submodules file had some sort of relative path like ../serialization.git. I
> tried to change these to my own fork URL but after that, I could not figure
> out how to update the modules because some modules used the relative path
> and some used my own fork's path. I wish I had the right error for you but
> I don't since it was a couple of weeks back.

I'm not a git expert but I think you did the right approach.
Once you have your own repository and your boost super repo clone now uses
your github repository as submodule of the library to modify, it should
work as you expected.
Then don't forget to push your local changes to your library fork and then
pull the changes into your boost super repo fork.

> I am no Git expert, clearly, but I know that there are a simple set of
> steps to do what I need done. Someone just needs to figure out the magic
> steps. If you want to suggest some specific steps, I can try them over the
> weekend if I have time.

I didn't try the process yet but I expect your approach to be the right way
as it is the usual way to deal with super repos and submodules. (from my
experience at least)