Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Line endings in bootstrap.bat on Windows
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-25 10:55:25

On 25 November 2013 14:22, Björn Pollex <bjoern.pollex_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> The same is also true for my previous problem with bootstrap.bat. It is
> actually strange that changing my autocrlf setting fixed this problem,
> because .gitattributes should overwrite that setting anyways.
>
> Can someone explain this behavior and what I can do to get a clean clone?

I think what's happened is that when the files are imported from
subversion they were imported literally without any newline
conversion. So they still have windows newlines which is confusing
git. I think we need to normalize these modules, there's a recipe on
the gitattributes manual page:

$ rm .git/index # Remove the index to force Git to
$ git reset # re-scan the working directory
$ git status # Show files that will be normalized
$ git add -u
$ git add .gitattributes
$ git commit -m "Introduce end-of-line normalization"

The first line might different for submodules if don't have a .git
directory. They can just have a file with a path to the directory. In
which case that can be used to find the index file to remove.

It also might be best to set visual studio files and '.bat' files to
'eol=crlf' before doing this.