Subject: Re: [boost] [conversion] Isolating the phantom file changes problem
From: Jürgen Hunold (jhunold_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-11-26 02:18:10

Hi Gavin,

On Tuesday, 26. November 2013 20:06:00 Gavin Lambert wrote:
> On 26/11/2013 19:54, Quoth Jürgen Hunold:
> > boost.svn$ svn proplist libs/pool/doc/images/mb1.svg
> >
> > Properties on 'libs/pool/doc/images/mb1.svg':
> > svn:mime-type
> >
> > boost.svn$ svn propget svn:mime-type libs/pool/doc/images/mb1.svg
> > image/svg+xml
> >
> > And image/* marks this as "binary". We had this discussion weeks ago with
> > noch real decision.
>
> Just curious: where is that rule coming from? If it's in the conversion
> code (which seems likely), can it be changed to treat */*+xml as text
> regardless of other rules?

No, subversion will not do CRLF-conversion on binary files. This creates the
same issues as explicit CRLF settings when doing the conversion on Unix. And
the conversion script will have to use subversion commands in order to get the
commits.

The reason for the "image/*" setting for svg was to have them displayed as
images when viewed in a web browser. But those display settings can be better
configured server-side. My experience is to have all text file eol-style
"native" and mime-type "text/something" to get the best cross-platform
integration. This is true even for .vcproj files as you can then script-edit
them on Unix without problems.

> > The final question is how to resolve this. I am not sure which solution is
> > best. I'd like to set all text-based files (including .svg and .bat) to
> > svn:eol-style native and svn:mime-type text/* in svn and then re-run the
> > conversion again. The main reason is that this worked really well for the
> > rest of the repository.
>
> That might be easier though, provided they're all found. :)

We have to handle all files which come out "modified" from a fresh checkout. The
list from Beman is quite comprehensive. And I would just use a skript to
force-set the needed properties on the svn side.

Yours,

Jürgen

--
* Dipl.-Math. Jürgen Hunold  !
* voice: ++49 4257 300       ! Fährstraße 1