Subject: Re: [boost] [modular boost] non-linked headers
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-02 19:32:34

On 12/03/2013 01:17 AM, Bjørn Roald wrote:
> On 12/03/2013 01:11 AM, Daniel James wrote:
>> On 3 December 2013 00:08, Bjørn Roald <bjorn_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>>
>>> yes, but b2 headers create hard links
>>
>> It really should use soft links. Most programs don't change files in
>> place, so as soon as such a change is made the two entries will be
>> pointing to different inodes. Which defeats the purpose, since they
>> should always be the same.
>
> yes that would be bad.
>
> Is this behavior documented somewhere?

not sure I understood exactly what you refer to, but I did just test
command line concatenation, emacs, gedit, vim. All of them seem to
change the file as I expected. What programs do you have in mind?

I am surprised if there is a problem with this, but if it is we should
re-consider the use of hardlinks.

--
Bjørn