Subject: Re: [boost] [modular boost] non-linked headers
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-02 20:06:14

On 12/03/2013 01:48 AM, Daniel James wrote:
> On 3 December 2013 00:32, Bjørn Roald <bjorn_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> not sure I understood exactly what you refer to, but I did just test command
>> line concatenation, emacs, gedit, vim. All of them seem to change the file
>> as I expected. What programs do you have in mind?
>
> Git for a start. If you check out a different version of a header it
> will break the link.

In that case we should use symlinks for sure. The problem here is that
the dependency in b2 for the link should catch this in the build, but
not if the date stamp move in the wrong direction. IBM cleamake solves
this in clearcase views, but we do not have that build tool. Using
filetime "greater than" to detect dependency changes is a fundamentally
broken hack used by almost all build tools.

As far as I remember symlinks to files are not Supported on windows
prior to Vista, how much of a concern should that be? I guess copies
are annoying for XP hosts, but not as devious as I see hardlinks could be.

--
Bjørn