Subject: Re: [boost] [modular boost] non-linked headers
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-03 01:38:40

On 12/2/2013 11:13 PM, Gavin Lambert wrote:
> On 3/12/2013 16:42, Quoth Edward Diener:
>> On 12/2/2013 9:02 PM, Edward Diener wrote:
>>>
>>> I do not use XP any longer but there is a driver for symbolic links
>>> under Windows XP. See
>>> http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html#symboliclinksforwindowsxp.
>>>

>> Unfortunately it seems that there would still be no command-line support
>> for symbolic links under Windows XP even with the driver mentioned.
>
> According to what I can see that includes a version of ln [1]. Also
> there are some other third-party programs that can create links too.
>
> (Granted neither of these are especially convenient for use by Boost.)
>
> [1] http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/ln/ln.html

Good find. I cannot imagine that there are many developers who want to
use Modular Boost to get the source being still on Windows XP ( or
Windows 2000 ) but we could still publish this information and try to
provide a solution for them. If we know that hard links will not work
with git changes when generating some of the headers, we should at least
offer an alternative for OSs without native symbolic link support.