Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Near future.. How do we deal with git-native libraries?
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-03 03:58:29

On 2 December 2013 19:47, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 2:44 AM, Daniel James <daniel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> This has been discussed in the past. The existing repo will need to
>> remain as the super module refers to the hash values of its commits.
>> The suggested fix was to combine the two repos, since a git repo can
>> contain two separate trees. The old branches will need to be kept
>> alive by tagging them.
>>
>> I'd rather have kept the two separate by using a different name for
>> the converted repo (e.g. svn-predef), but no one agreed with me.
>>

> Since it seems that we need to BoostOrg repo.. My preference would be to
> slam the BoostOrg one with my canonical repo and only keep the BoostOrg
> repo around. Since the canonical one has more, and more accurate, history
> than the BoostOrg one. But I don't know what the ramifications of such a
> move are.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Although what I wrote above
wasn't particularly comprehensible either. What I was trying to get at
is something like the following which stores both histories in a
single repo, but keeps them separate and makes yours the main
branches. Afterwards the super-repo will need to be updated
accordingly. Maybe someone has a better idea?

# Create clone containing both repos:
git clone git_at_[hidden]:boostorg/predef.git
cd predef
git remote add grafik git_at_[hidden]:grafikrobot/boost-predef.git
git fetch grafik

# Save old branches, so old checkouts of the main module
# will still work:
git tag svn-develop origin/develop
git tag svn-master origin/master
git push --tags

# Replace master, keeping some files from the old repo:
# (-B overwrite the local branch)
git checkout grafik/master -B master
git checkout svn-master -- .gitattributes index.html
git commit -m "Add files required for boost"
git push --force origin master

# Replace develop with master as well,
# as grafik/predef doesn't have a develop branch
git checkout -b develop
git push --force origin develop