Subject: [boost] bootstrap.bat broken for MinGW since 1.55
From: Björn Pollex (bjoern.pollex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-03 09:12:04

I have just tried to bootstrap Boost 1.55 for use with 32 bit MinGW on
Windows 7. Here is what I get:

    C:\Users\pollexb\git_repositories\modular-boost>bootstrap.bat
    Building Boost.Build engine
    '"VCVARS32.BAT"' is not recognized as an internal or external command
    operable program or batch file.
    '"VCVARS32.BAT"' is not recognized as an internal or external command
    operable program or batch file.
    '"VCVARS32.BAT"' is not recognized as an internal or external command
    operable program or batch file.
    '"VCVARS32.BAT"' is not recognized as an internal or external command
    operable program or batch file.
    'cl' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

    Failed to build Boost.Build engine.
    Please consult bootstrap.log for furter diagnostics.

    You can try to obtain a prebuilt binary from

       http://sf.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=7586&package_id=72941

    Also, you can file an issue at http://svn.boost.org
    Please attach bootstrap.log in that case.

The log file has the following contents:

    ###
    ### Using 'msvc' toolset.
    ###

C:\Users\pollexb\git_repositories\modular-boost\tools\build\v2\engine>if
exist bootstrap rd /S /Q bootstrap

C:\Users\pollexb\git_repositories\modular-boost\tools\build\v2\engine>md
bootstrap

C:\Users\pollexb\git_repositories\modular-boost\tools\build\v2\engine>cl
/nologo /GZ /Zi /MLd /Fobootstrap/ /Fdbootstrap/ -DNT -DYYDEBUG
kernel32.lib advapi32.lib user32.lib /Febootstrap\jam0 command.c compile.c
constants.c debug.c execcmd.c execnt.c filent.c frames.c function.c glob.c
hash.c hdrmacro.c headers.c jam.c jambase.c jamgram.c lists.c make.c
make1.c object.c option.c output.c parse.c pathnt.c pathsys.c regexp.c
rules.c scan.c search.c subst.c timestamp.c variable.c modules.c strings.c
filesys.c builtins.c md5.c class.c cwd.c w32_getreg.c native.c
modules/set.c modules/path.c modules/regex.c modules/property-set.c
modules/sequence.c modules/order.c

For some reason it simply ignores the option I pass in and tries to use
msvc instead. I recall that there was some discussion about boostrap.sh
prior to the 1.55 release, but could not find anything there that affected
bootstrap.bat.

I have tried with the source archive downloaded from Sourceforge, and with
the master branch from Github, both times I get the same error. It works
fine with Boost 1.54.

Does anyone know what change could have caused this?

Regards,

    Björn Pollex