Subject: Re: [boost] Git: maintaining super-project
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-04 05:34:03

On 04.12.2013 13:44, Daniel James wrote:
> On 4 December 2013 09:40, Vladimir Prus <ghost_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> Most developers won't do this, they'll be using the master branch of
>>> the super project, and only checking out develop for the modules
>>> they're concerned with.
>>

>> And then any incompatibilities are discovered a week before release, I
>> suppose?
>
> Well, you should only be making bug fixes a week before release, and
> changes for an upcoming release shouldn't be made in the develop
> branch. The idea is to use the git flow process to manage changes.

The point is I change module X and you change module Y and these changes
collide, then having us test against previously-released version of Boost,
or some random-state-of-submodule-references, as opposed to master branches
of everything, will necessary mean the collision will be detected later in
release cycle.

- Volodya