Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Update submodules in boost.git
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-05 02:12:08

On 05.12.2013 11:07, Daniel Pfeifer wrote:

>>> Tests are run on Boost/develop.
>>> To make a new release of Boost, you merge the changes of Boost/develop
>>> to Boost/master.
>>
>> Does that mean that X/develop is not tested?
>
> Yes (and no). It is not integrated into Boost and it is not tested as
> part of Boost. The same way as the development of zlib is not tested
> by Debian. Just the releases are integrated and tested.
>
>> Why is it needed then?
>
> According to gitflow, this is where the development of X happens. It
> is also tested of course. On its own, however.

I seems like we use 'gitflow' as a stick, regardless of its merits. For program_options, I am expressly
not going to bother with it, I will just commit those couple of patches I get per year directly into
master, after verifying that regression tests still work. I suspect that this approach will be most
efficient for most libraries that don't see extensive development, and for which separate release
schedule makes no sense.

- Volodya