Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Update submodules in boost.git
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-05 10:03:46

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Andrey Semashev wrote:

>> > This tends to happen in practice regardless of the testing scheme. The
>> > author of X doesn't watch the tests of Y.
>>
>> In my example Y tests would succeed, but X would fail if it was tested
>> against Y/develop.
>

> Yes, sorry. "The author of Y doesn't watch the tests of X."

The point is that the maintainer of X notices the problem in Y (which
resulted in X breakage) and notifies the maintainer of Y. This is
mostly how it happens now. The significant benefit is that in
everything/develop scheme the breakage can be fixed before it makes it
into the master branch and does not hold off Boost release if it's on
the way.