Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Community maintained libraries
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-05 14:03:26

On 5 Dec 2013 at 10:06, Steven Watanabe wrote:

> > My proposal goes further than Beman's and gives "Community
> > maintainership" to all but the most well-maintained libraries. Each
> > library would still have a named maintainer and this would be their
> > role:
> >
> > <snip>
>
> This wouldn't help anything. Every effort to create a group that does
> general maintenance in the past has fizzled out when most of the
> participants lose interest. If we can't even manage this for a few
> libraries that have no active maintainer at all, it's completely hopeless
> to try to establish it for even more libraries.

Agreed. Boost isn't like other open source libraries because it
sprawls so much, so I can't think of anyone who uses every single
library in Boost and therefore has a substantial interest in looking
at Boost as a whole rather than as a pick-and-mix.

I've always personally thought the only way you'll get holistic work
done on an ongoing basis is to appoint a paid civil service corp of
engineers i.e. effectively a paid engineer or two who are appointed
benevolent dictators. As no one appears to be forthcoming with the
requisite funding, that is a pipedream.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/