Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Community maintained libraries
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-05 15:32:55

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 12:36 PM, Alexander Lamaison <awl03_at_[hidden]>wrote:

Extensive discussion of

=====================================
> The role of Boost library maintainers
> =====================================

 and

> =================
> Maintainer status
> =================

and

> ========
> Proposal
> ========

and

> =========
> Rationale
> =========

What you are proposing is much more extensive and all encompassing than
anything I had in mind. While many of your points are well taken, I see the
vast diversity of the Boost libraries and their maintainers as a great
strength, and to me that demands diversity in how we handle maintenance.

Furthermore, we are convulsed at the moment with one major transition, so I
personally don't think it is the right time to totally rework how we do
maintenance.

The Community maintained libraries would start out as a very small piece of
Boost. It would affect only a few boosters, and those that were affected
would mostly be different from the set of release managers and library
maintainers who are tied up in the move to git and modular boost. We can
try it out to see if it works before speculating as to what portion of
Boost libraries might eventually end up community maintained.

In the meantime, you could approach the steering committee to see if they
have any interest in more sweeping changes.

Thanks for your interest,

--Beman