Subject: Re: [boost] RFC: Community maintained libraries
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-05 21:23:00

On Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 5:49 PM, Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge_at_[hidden]>wrote:

I do agree that the steering committee should have admin and commit
> access to all approved Boost libraries, and possibly all those in the
> peer review queue as well. To my knowledge this is already planned
> and/or already implemented, so we're as good as we're at.

The steering committee does not have any access, as they deal with policy
rather than operations. I think you meant to say the Release Managers. They
do have admit access to all boostorg repos.

> (FYI I very much like the idea of an active pruning strategy for
> Boost so undermaintained libraries get actively purged. Less is
> more!)

There is no current policy to purge "undermaintained" libraries. Usefulness
to users is the metric Boost has traditionally used in deciding to remove a
library. A library typically becomes much less useful to users if it is
replaced by a much better library or a core language feature, and then only
after enough time has passed that the library really doesn't have users
anymore.

--Beman