Subject: Re: [boost] [git] develop and master are two completely distinct branches
From: Ahmed Charles (acharles_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-07 02:38:52

> Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2013 16:33:35 +0000
> From: daniel_at_[hidden]
> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> Subject: Re: [boost] [git] develop and master are two completely distinct branches
>
> On 6 December 2013 16:20, Thomas Heller <thom.heller_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > I was hoping that the conversion script tracked and conserved this
> > information. In the current state is close to impossible to see where those
> > two branches might have diverged. Also, the history of the master branch of
> > most repositories is close to useless now.
>
> The history of branches/release wasn't much better. You can still use
> subversion to examine the old history, and find out what need to be
> merged. In this case:
>
> svn mergeinfo --show-revs eligible
> "https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/boost/phoenix"
> "https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/release/boost/phoenix"
> r71952
> r72702
> r78205
> r79223
> r85952
>
> svn mergeinfo --show-revs eligible
> "https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/trunk/libs/phoenix"
> "https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/branches/release/libs/phoenix"
> r72702
> r73369
>
> Then look through the develop log to find the equivalent git revisions
> and decide whether they need to be merged.
>
> Although I think I'd just create separate clones of master and develop
> and reconcile the differences manually and then mark it as fully
> merged. A graphical merge tool could help here.

If you do the following in libs/phoenix:

git checkout develop
git merge master
git status # resolve conflicts
git commit

Then you'll have a point where the history of develop is based on master, which makes future merges easier. Note, at some point you can then merge develop into master, which will publish the changes in phoenix so they will be in the next release. As far as I can tell, the majority of the changes are enabling tests and adding the inline keyword. I'd imagine the goal would be to have master and develop point to the same state and go from there.