Subject: Re: [boost] [variant] Why boost::get<Base>(derived) not supported?
From: Larry Evans (cppljevans_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-07 12:29:59

On 12/07/13 10:37, Larry Evans wrote:
> On 12/07/13 10:21, TONGARI J wrote:

>>> I just looked into the code of get, and it also uses visitor, a bit
>>> disappointed.
>>> Since the current boost::get requires exact type match (except const),
>>> there's only one viable way from the types, I thought it might do better
>>> under the hood (i.e. single if-check instead of switch), but it didn't,
>>> it's just a more restrictive visitor than what I shown in my sample
>>> code.
>>>
>>> And for type-checking, I think the user should use .which(), but I don't
>>> know how many ones already did that with get, so it's a valid concern
>>> not
>>> to break others' code...otherwise I'm inclined to make it the default
>>> behavior of boost::get.
>>>
>>> I'm OK with polymorphic_get (except the long name, though), since that's
>>> my use-case.
>>> But variant_cast seems more attractive.
>>> You can do variant_cast<Base&>(derived) or variant_cast<Base*>(&derived)
>>> in that case, and variant_cast<Compatible>(v) for other conversion.
>>> If you want to go further, you can ensure that at least one viable
>>> conversion exists at compile time by some metaprogramming tricks.
>>>

>> Aside: Do we have something like unconditional_get that doesn't
>> perform the
>> runtime check?
>
> Wouldn't reinterpret_cast do?

OOPS. The storage_ member variable is stored after the which_ tag
as shown on lines 1237 and 1275 of here:

https://github.com/boostorg/variant/blob/master/include/boost/variant/variant.hpp

Also, the storage_ member variable maybe does not start with
the actual storage. Instead, looking at some of the code
shows it's reached by:

   storage_.address()

So, I was wrong about using reinterpret_cast, and I've no idea
how to do it without modifying the variant code, maybe by providing
acciess to storage_.address().

-regards,
Larry