Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Problems with Boost.Sync
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-07 13:23:07

On 7 December 2013 18:11, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My first experience with git is failing miserably. I was trying to checkout
> Boost.Sync, which is not present in the normal checkout as described in the
> wiki [1]. It is only present in the develop branch, so I thought I have to do:

If you want to check out develop the easiest thing to do is a straight clone:

git clone --recursive -b develop git_at_[hidden]:boostorg/boost.git

If you've got a clean check out of master you need to first checkout
develop in the master repo, and then update the submodules:

git checkout origin/develop -b develop
git submodule update --init

The '--init' is used to initialise the sync submodules before updating.

> git submodule foreach --recursive git checkout develop
>
> That didn't help, so I also did
>
> git checkout develop
> git pull
>
> The last command failed with the error:
>
> First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...

It's tricky to know what to do as I don't know what you've done to the
repo. You might have committed something into it. If you're sure
there's nothing in your clone of the main repo that want to keep, then
try something like this (assuming that you're on the master branch):

git reset --hard origin/master
git submodule update

Then try checking out develop as above.