Subject: [boost] A proposal for superproject structure and testing
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-09 07:16:33

To expand on what I said in a previous message, I suggest the following
structure for the superproject:

- branch "latest": automatically tracks "develop" of submodules (scripted).
- branch "develop": automatically tracks "master" of submodules (scripted).
- branch "master": contains either the last release or the current release
candidate.

(This naming reflects a gitflow model. An alternative would be to use the
more traditional unstable/stable for latest/develop.)

Test runners test all three, in sequence.

Release preparation starts with a gitflow release branch from
boostorg:develop. The release manager then runs local tests and, if
necessary, applies fixes on the branch by downgrading submodules to an
earlier version or asking the submodule maintainer to resolve a problem and
then upgrading the submodule to the later version.

Ideally, this release branch should be tested non-locally. However, in the
past switching branches for testing has proved a problem. Therefore, the
procedure continues instead with:

When the release manager is satisfied with the local test results for the
release branch, he merges it to master. This becomes a release candidate. If
tests prove satisfactory, the release candidate is tagged as an official
release and the release branch is deleted. If not, work continues on the
release branch.