Subject: Re: [boost] A proposal for superproject structure and testing
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-09 15:36:57

On Monday 09 December 2013 19:11:44 Peter Dimov wrote:
> Andrey Semashev wrote:
> > With the branch approach, the branch can be deleted, and if I'm not
> > mistaken, the release tag would then reference a non-existent commit of
> > the branch.
>
> What happens with the commit if the branch is deleted but the superproject
> still references it is an interesting git question. :-)
>
> Ideally, the feature will be fixed for the next release in a normal manner,
> so the question will be moot in addition to interesting, but in practice, it
> would probably still hold some relevance. :-)
>
> Either way, forking seems a but heavy-handed.

Do tags warrant the tagged commit from deletion? The release procedure could
be adjusted so that in every submodule, the commit that went into the Boost
release is tagged with some appropriate name (e.g boost_1_56_0). The release
manager's branches can then be deleted so that they don't clutter the list of
branches. This has the additional benefit of that each submodule contains the
information about the state corresponding to every superproject release.