Subject: Re: [boost] [git] The any library does not pull cleanly because of a forced update on develop and master.
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-10 10:45:26

On 10.12.2013 18:40, Dave Abrahams wrote:
> "Cox, Michael" <mhcox_at_[hidden]> writes:
>
>> I tried to update my local repositories to the latest changes in each
>> submodule:
>>
>> git pull; git submodule foreach --recursive git pull
>>
>> When it got to the libs/any submodule, I got the following message:
>>
>> remote: Counting objects: 27, done.
>> remote: Compressing objects: 100% (2/2), done.
>> remote: Total 6 (delta 2), reused 6 (delta 2)
>> Unpacking objects: 100% (6/6), done.
>> From https://github.com/boostorg/any
>> + 3f0b981...e3e5da6 develop -> origin/develop (forced update)
>> + 38039b3...d35b2d6 master -> origin/master (forced update)
>> * [new tag] 20131209-develop -> 20131209-develop
>> * [new tag] 20131209-master -> 20131209-master
>>
>> and my editor popped up with a merge commit message to edit. I think
>> that's because the develop and master branches were force updated,
>> re-writing history in develop and master.
>
> If there is not already a policy in place to prevent history rewriting
> in public branches, we should have one. And if there's a GitHub
> mechanism for denying the privilege, it should be enabled.

As I've said on Boost.Build mailing list, such a policy or mechanism shall only be in effect after
everybody reviews results of the conversion for real, and is happy with them. The conversion was,
to a degree, rushed, so we need a time to fix issues before we declare we're really done with
the transition to git and start playing by git rules.

- Volodya