Subject: Re: [boost] [git] The any library does not pull cleanly because of a forced update on develop and master.
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-10 16:01:07

On 11.12.2013 00:04, Edward Diener wrote:
> On 12/10/2013 11:42 AM, Vladimir Prus wrote:

>>> Isn't that period over according to the planning?
>>> There was a period for library authors to review the history migrated
>>> to git.
>>
>> FWIW, during that period, I did express a preference for 'build'
>> repository to have everything at
>> top level, as opposed to 'v2' subdir.
>
> Why can't you move it to the top level rather than have it at 'v2', then commit the changes and push to develop ? Do you mean that your
> history is lost in git for a file if you move it to another place in the repository ? Being a git novice that's hard to believe.

After this change,

        git log file

will output a single commit. You can kinda fix this by passing --follow, but you need to do this every time,
there's no documented way to have it as default. Further, gitk does not appear to handle this at all, it
just shows a single revision (e.g. if run like 'gitk build/virtual-target.jam').

Then, printing past becomes inconvenient:

        $ git show 5a0d9820ac6bd4068a1fa3075d45904ed5341675:build/virtual-target.jam
        fatal: Path 'build/virtual-target.jam' exists on disk, but not in '5a0d9820ac6bd4068a1fa3075d45904ed5341675'

It is possible to use v2/build/virtual-target.jam in this case, but it's becoming not funny. And, importantly,
given that a few people said that rename should "just work", which is demonstrably false, I suspect that there
are further gotchas beyond the above immediate ones.

- Volodya