Subject: [boost] Splitting/rearranging Boost.Utility
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-10 16:57:04

Currently, Boost.Utility is something of a mixed bag and consequently, a
dependency knot. Nearly everything in Boost depends on Utility via (say)
boost/assert.hpp, while at the same time Utility itself depends on much of
Boost via Iterator (and others). Something Must Be Done.

At minimum, assert.hpp, current_function.hpp, ref.hpp, checked_delete.hpp
and addressof.hpp need to be moved out. I suspect that call_traits.hpp,
compressed_pair.hpp, enable_if.hpp also don't belong.

assert.hpp and current_function.hpp should probably go into their own
library, Boost.Assert. ref.hpp might go to Boost.Bind. checked_delete.hpp
might perhaps go to SmartPtr. No idea where addressof.hpp needs to go.

These are just suggestions. I'm open to any resolution, as long as the
dependency (and, to a lesser extent, maintenance) problem is resolved to
everyone's satisfaction.