Subject: Re: [boost] [git] The any library does not pull cleanly because of a forced update on develop and master.
From: Vladimir Prus (ghost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-10 23:54:03

On 11.12.2013 08:42, Ahmed Charles wrote:
> I don't find either of these aspects of git to be a compelling reason to modify history, which is generally considered to be poor form in
> any git community and boost should be no different. Making everyone who is using boost through git deal with a non-fast-forward merge is
> too high a cost for simply getting to avoid typing 8 extra characters

Dealing with non-fast-forward merge at this just-post-conversion point is trivial. There are not many forks, and presumably not many
people who have non-trivial local changes.

May I ask that this sub-thread don't become yet another where general git advice is given? Rather, if anybody knows specific reason
why rewriting history of the 'build' module *now* will create problems for *him*, please speak up. Otherwise, I'll evaluate technical
feasibility (our beloved git might as well take years to run filter-branch), and if it works, will proceed.

- Volodya