Subject: Re: [boost] [git] The any library does not pull cleanly because of a forced update on develop and master.
From: Ahmed Charles (acharles_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-11 00:25:37

> To: boost_at_[hidden]
> From: ghost_at_[hidden]
> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 09:14:58 +0400
> Subject: Re: [boost] [git] The any library does not pull cleanly because of a forced update on develop and master.
>
> Sorry, I've said it several times already, please check this thread and boost-build_at_[hidden] thread. This is my module,
> I want the history to be in a way that is convenient for me. If conversion failed to do this, I want to fix it myself.

I don't follow boost-build.

Though, I did get that you wanted it 'convenient for you', however, that's not detailed enough for anyone else to actually help you achieve it. I was asking for motivation in the hope of getting something more detailed.

Unfortunately, as it stands, you seem willing to unilaterally and knowingly inconvenience everyone with a git clone of boost simply because you think it will improve things for you without even explaining what that means. I don't want this to sound too critical and certainly, boost always errs on the side of giving library developers control, but at the same time, something of this magnitude hasn't really been possible previously in boost, so there's no precedence for maintainers making changes like this. Note, this is equivalent to taking boosts svn server, making a copy with a different history and then changing the dns to point from the original to the new one. No one would have let you do that and the only reason you are even considering it is because git makes something like this as trivial as typing '-f'...