Subject: Re: [boost] [git] The any library does not pull cleanly because of a forced update on develop and master.
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-11 04:23:29

On 11 December 2013 04:45, Ahmed Charles <acharles_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2013 12:11:25 +0400
>> From: antoshkka_at_[hidden]
>> To: boost_at_[hidden]
>> Subject: Re: [boost] [git] The any library does not pull cleanly because of a forced update on develop and master.
>>
>> Was unmerging old svn branches from develop branch and hiding them under
>> branches/refs/hidden, like it was advised in "[boost] [git] Mess with
>> branches"
>
> I believe I read that thread and it didn't mention changing history that I noticed. Deleting branches is 'git branch -D' and hiding a branch is 'git push origin <branch>:refs/hidden/<branch>', neither of which change history.

He reverted in order to remove the massive merge of a lot of branches
into develop. The history that those merges created was confusing, so
it might have been a good idea. Hiding the branches caused problems
though:

I tagged the hidden branches to fix that. The rule should be: never
hide anything that has been included in the super-project. Hiding the
branches wouldn't have been a problem if the merge hadn't been
included in the super project, but since it has been they needed to be
tagged.