Subject: Re: [boost] [git] The any library does not pull cleanly because of a forced update on develop and master.
From: Daniel James (daniel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-11 07:19:43

On 11 December 2013 12:06, Ahmed Charles <acharles_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> To: boost_at_[hidden]
>> From: ghost_at_[hidden]
>> Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:44:01 +0400
>> Subject: Re: [boost] [git] The any library does not pull cleanly because of a forced update on develop and master.
>>
>> It all boils back to the point that we have quite a few things undecided at this point,
>> so expecting that from now on, it will be possible to just update to new git state
>> automatically is quite optimistic thinking.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean, but the assumption that a public branch (like master/develop in boost) is never force pushed, is fairly basic. It's not even possible to do in most other source control systems. Unfortunately, the flexibility of git results in mistakes and fixing them almost always has unfortunate tradeoffs and the best way to avoid mistakes is to take great care in the things one does.

I think you can only make that assumption once we have settled into a
stable state. We still haven't worked out how everything is going to
fit together, and not all the parts are in place yet. There's a trade
off between short term disruption and long term history, and at the
moment the latter seems more important to me.

We're still in the period of transition - we're not publicizing the
git repositories for general use yet. If this is problematic for you,
then you should probably wait before creating any branches. This is
roughly an alpha phase for developers, where breaking changes can
still happen.