Subject: Re: [boost] Splitting/rearranging Boost.Utility
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-11 14:15:15

"Peter Dimov" <lists_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Alexander Lamaison wrote:
>> It's not the same thing as giving the whole world commit rights.
>
> Yeah, I know. In Boost parlance though, "maintainer" does mean "commit
> rights", and therefore "community maintenance" does mean "giving the
> community commit rights".

I get that.

> Even if the only thing you do is press the "Merge Pull Request" button
> from time to time, you're still the maintainer. That's not because
> only you can work on the code; it's because (a) if something goes
> wrong, it's your responsibility to fix it and (b) you're supposed to
> be familiar with the the decisions underlying the design of the
> library and the history behind them, and therefore can evaluate the
> merits of a proposed change and the risk of it breaking the world.

What part of that means only one person is qualified to make those
decisions?

The community maintenance idea just means that that responsibility is
shared between members of a team. Each member of that team would still,
individually, be expected to fix anything they break in the course of
the maintenance, and to understand the design decisions sufficiently to
make informed choices about the proposed changes.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)