Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Why are we using Github (was: The any library does not pull cleanly because of a forced update on develop and
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-12 11:22:06

On 12 Dec 2013 at 11:00, Beman Dawes wrote:

> > Before considering moving to Bitbucket, I recommend simply asking
the
> > Github team whether it's possible to add restrictions on a case
by
> > case basis.
>
> +1

I think such special casing unlikely - being able to overwrite
history is sometimes essential [1] which is why Github allows it, and
it
is expected that git users know not to do it except as an absolute
last
resort because it buggers everyone with a copy of that branch in
their
clones. BTW if you DO do it, you're expected to preannounce the fact
to a
dev mailing list with sufficient notice and put it in big letters in
the
docs and changelog.

Regarding forcing people to behave, well you can't, except by the
usual mechanism of only submoduling the commit SHAs which Boost
master has approved of.

[1]: An example of where it's necessary? When you need to purge a
commit which contained proprietary code for example, and someone only
just
realised that now we're accidentally hosting copies of third party
code
for which we're about to get sued ...

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/