Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Write permission to branch
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-13 18:36:46

On 12/13/2013 3:44 PM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> On 09/12/2013 01:48, Edward Diener wrote:

>>> You're trying to push the local "suncc" branch to the remote "master"
>>> branch.
>>> There is already some history in the remote master branch, and your
>>> local suncc branch is not a descendant of that history. To prevent
>>> history rewriting, git is therefore refusing to branch.
>>
>> How was I supposed to interpret this reality from "Updates were rejected
>> because a pushed branch tip is behind its remote" <g> ?
>
> I personally find that "non-fast-forward" is pretty explicit.

I have to pick up and understand git terminology. For a relative git
novice like me "non-fast forward" sounds like a reference to a recording
device <g>.

I am studying git to get up to speed. Printed out "Pro Git" and am
slowly going through it. I do like how easy it is to create new
branches, switch between branches, push and pull branches. But I am sure
there is much else I do not know and I have to learn it to be
comfortable with how git works.