Subject: Re: [boost] Getting Started with Modular Boost Library Maintenance
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-12-13 20:43:49

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Beman Dawes wrote:
>
> See https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/StartModWorkflow
>>

> "* release.n.n.n for release staging branches. For example,
> release.1.56.2."
>
> Why the dot? Shouldn't it be release-1.56.2?

I copied it from somewhere. But you are right,
http://nvie.com/posts/a-successful-git-branching-model/ uses "release-".

Hum... That original blog post also uses "hotfix-" rather than "hotfix/"
and doesn't use any prefix for feature branches.

OTOH, git-flow tools defaults are different, at least on my Windows machine:

D:\modular-boost>git flow init

Which branch should be used for bringing forth production releases?
   - develop
   - master
Branch name for production releases: [master]

Which branch should be used for integration of the "next release"?
   - develop
Branch name for "next release" development: [develop]

How to name your supporting branch prefixes?
Feature branches? [feature/]
Release branches? [release/]
Hotfix branches? [hotfix/]
Support branches? [support/]
Version tag prefix? []

So it looks like there has been some evolution in branch naming conventions.

I'm inclined to go with the git-flow defaults.

--Beman